We previously wrote about the Choice Privileges program and talked about how looking out for a 24,000 sign up bonus on the MBNA Choice Privileges MasterCard and lo and behold the promotion is now available. The highlights of the credit card are as follows:
- No annual fee
- Earn 24,000 bonus points (8,000 after your first purchase and 16,000 bonus points if you apply before June 9, 2014 and you must make a purchase before July 31, 2014)
- Earn 4,500 bonus points when you spend $30,000 in a calendar year
- Earn 2,000 bonus points every year on your account anniversary
- Earn up to 15 points for every $1 spent at Choice Privileges locations in Canada, the U.S., Europe, Mexico, and Australasia
- Earn 2 points for every $1 spent on all other purchases
The 8,000 + 16,000 bonus points is easy enough to earn. The no annual fee on the credit card makes this card a no brainer if you are a fan of Choice Hotels. This credit card can help you earn a lot of points in a hurry, but you will also need to use your points fairly quickly.
My issue with the Choice Privileges program continues to be the 2 year expiry policy. Points will expire on December 31, two years after your points were deposited into your account. So we will need to continually use our points before they expire, so this program does take a little work to keep track of the points before they expire.
Recommendations to Choice Privileges: Get ride of the 2 year expiry policy. To compromise, have a rule that requires activity once every 12 months that keeps accounts active. For me personally, I will continue to stay at other hotel chains who have a more customer friendly expiry policy.