The RBC British Airways Visa Infinite is once again offering its 50,000 sign up bonus Avios upon approval. It seems that the trend is that this promotion is offered once every 6 months or so.
Below are the highlights of the credit card:
- Requirement: $60,000 minimum personal or $100,000 household income
- $165 annual fee
- $75 annual fee for supplementary cardholders
- Earn 50,000 sign up bonus Avios (earn 15,000 bonus Avios upon approval and earn an additional 35,000 Avios after spending $9,000 in the first 3 months)
- Earn 2 Avios for every $1 spent on British Airways and British Airway Holidays purchases
- Earn 1 Avios for every $1 spent on all other purchases
- Get 10% off British Airways flights departing from Canada
- Receive a Companion Award Ticket (eVoucher) for a reward flight operated by British Airways when you spend $30,000 or more during a calendar year
At first glance, it may seem like the 50,000 sign up bonus is a permanent increase. But after further clicking aorund, i.e. the “Rewards” tab, it shows that you need to apply before October 31, 2016 to get the 35,000 bonus Avios after spending $9,000 in the first 3 months.
The spending requirement may seem high, but the 50,000 Avios is worth it, depending on how you leverage your Avios. Let’s just do a quick calculation of reaching the full $30,000 spending requirement to qualify for the Companion Award Ticket. Even though it may seem steep, there is some value to be had:
- Spend $30,000 to earn 80,000 Avios (50,000 sign up bonus + 30,000 from spending requirement) and a Companion Award Ticket.
I value Avios at 1.6 cents a piece, so 80,000 Avios is worth about $1,280 in value. That is actually some very good value for paying the $165 annual fee.