The referral bonus on the American Express Air Miles Platinum Card actually increased to 1,600 sign up bonus points, up from 1,250 points. The highlights of the credit card are as follows:
- $65 annual fee (waived the first year)
- Earn 1,600 sign up bonus Air Miles points when you spend $500 in the first three months (1,000 points without referral)
- Earn 500 Air Miles points for every approved referral
- Earn 1 Air Miles point for every $10 spent at Air Miles sponsors, groceries, gas and drug stores in Canada
- Earn 1 Air Miles point for every $15 on all other purchases
I have probably written about the expiry issue too often. As great as this sign up bonus is, I still hesitate to earn Air Miles because of its expiry policy.
All the points that you earned on or before December 30, 2011 will expire on December 31, 2016. Thereafter, all points that you earned 5 years ago will expire, regardless of activity. My voice is probably left unheard since the expiry policy has no changed. Maybe Air Miles is waiting until we get closer to December 31, 2016 to change its policy as a good public relations move. Here’s hoping.