Effective May 31, 2018, Esso stations will no longer issue Aeroplan miles. The current earning options are as follows:
- Earn 1 Aeroplan Mile for every $3 spent on purchases of Esso Regular Grade gasoline, car washes or convenience store items
- Earn 1 Aeroplan Mile for every $3 spent on Esso Diesel fuel
- Earn 2 Aeroplan Miles for every $3 spent on Esso Extra Grade gasoline
- Earn 3 Aeroplan Miles for every $3 spent on Esso Supreme Grade gasoline
- Earn 4 Aeroplan Miles for every $3 spent on Esso Supreme+ Grade gasoline (in the Greater Toronto Area only)
Just this move alone, is probably not a huge deal to both companies. For Esso, they still have their Esso Extra program, which they will probably put more emphasis on instead. For Aeroplan, Esso may not have been one of their larger partners, but this can be a concerning trend.
As the Air Canada / Aeroplan breakup draws closer (June 30, 2020), the question remains what is Aeroplan going to do. I doubt Aeroplan even knows what is going to happen. The best they can do is be hopeful that there will be some sort of breakthrough. For now, losing partnerships is probably not going to help.
In the meantime, I have been going with the earn and burn approach with Aeroplan. Once I reach the number of miles that I need for a specific reward redemption, I move ahead. I am not currently trying to hoard my miles until I hear some more positive news.