Petro-Canada has a rewards program called Petro-Points. There are actually a few hidden gems about this program in terms of earning and redeeming points. Note that it is free to sign up and you just need to swipe your card every time you are at Petro. But there are also other ways to earn Petro-Points.
I personally would not go out of my way to earn Petro-Points, because I still prefer racking up Aeroplan miles instead. But if the Petro station is offering cheaper gas than the Esso across the street, I am filling up at Petro.
Petro-Canada offers the Petro-Points program which has the following earning opportunities:
- Earn 15,000 sign up bonus points with the CIBC Petro-Points MasterCard
- Earn 2,500 bonus points when you provide a valid email address upon registration with My Petro-Canada
- Earn 2,000 sign up bonus Petro-Points for signing up for AskingCanadians surveys and continuously earn points as you do more surveys
- Earn 200 points for every service station survey (the sale receipt includes a number code that begins with the letters PC followed by 14 numbers)
- Earn 20 points for every $1 spent on convenience store items and car wash
- Earn 10 points for every $1 spent on SuperClean, Ultra 94 or Diesel fuel
- Earn 7 points for every $1 spent on PlusClean fuel
- Earn 5 points for every $1 spent on RegularClean fuel
It can feel slow to earn more points, so you will want to target bonus offers, such as the top-up bonus, where you can earn bonus points if you fill up a certain amount of litres per month. Below are the different bonus points levels, as well as its newest lowest level:
- NEW- Fill up for 100-149 litres and receive 500 bonus points
- Fill up for 150-249 litres and receive 750 bonus points
- Fill up for 250 or more litres and receive 1,000 bonus points
Top Reward Redemptions
It is too bad that Petro-Points and Cathay Pacific’s Asia Miles program discontinued their partnership effective April 1, 2016. So if you want to transfer some points over to Asia Miles, do it before the end of the month.
I would say that one of the best reward redemption of Petro-Canada is the Fuel Savings Rewards Card where 12,000 points gets you 5¢ per litre off on 200 litres of fuel, which is essentially a $10 gift card. If you reload your card only, you only need 11,000 points for the same 200 litres. The most optimal time to redeem for this reward is when they have a discounted promotion to redeem for the same card.
Another sweet offer is the redeem 12,000 points for the SPC card.
Are there any other sweet spots that I may have missed? Please share in the comment section below!