Right as the 25,000 sign up bonus points expired on
July 14, 2014 on the American Express AeroplanPlus Gold Card expired , two new promotions came out that expire on August 31, 2014.
The current promotion is that if you apply by
August 31, 2014, the sign up bonus will be counted towards reaching Distinction status in the Aeroplan program.
American Express AeroplanPlus Platinum Card
- $499 annual fee $499
- $199 for supplementary cardholders
- Earn 51,000 sign up bonus when referred (30,000 without referral) when you spend $1,000 in the first three months of having this card
- Earn 15,000 points for a referral (which your friend or family member should be getting when you sign up for this card)
- Earn 1.25 point for every $1 spent on all purchases on the first $25,000 purchases annually
- Earn 1.5 point for every additional $1 on purchases over $25,000 annually
- Receive a 2-for-1 short-haul flight reward when you redeem 15,000 points
- Access to Air Canada Maple Leaf Lounges and Arrival Lounges
- Priority check-in where Executive First and Executive Class is available
American Express AeroplanPlus Gold Card
- $120 annual fee (first year fee waived)
- 2 free supplementary cardholders ($50 thereafter)
- Earn 30,000 sign up bonus points (with referral) or 20,000 sign up bonus points (without referral) after spending $500 in the first three months
- Earn 10,000 points for a referral (which your friend or family member should be getting when you sign up for this card)
- Earn 1 points for every $1 spent on all purchases for the first $10,000 per calendar year
- Earn 1.25 points for every $1 spent on all purchases above $10,000 per calendar year
It is unclear on whether the full referral bonus will be counted towards the Distinction status, which is why I mentioned that it is up to 30,000 (American Express AeroplanPlus Platinum Card) that will be counted.