This is the 3rd year (2014, 2013) that Pointshogger has written a post about Remembrance Day. Every year, it has been a theme where we would list as many travel related discounts as possible for active and retired military personnel (as well as family members) to take advantage of throughout the year.
If we missed anything, please feel free to comment below and we will add it to the list. I really hope to make this list as comprehensive as possible.
* Please note that I only provided discounts that include leisure travel for military personal. There are other discounts for military business travel, but the Human Resources Department will be in charge of finding those promotions.
- Air Canada – Baggage fees are waived (up to 3 bags) for active and retired members of the Canadian military. Each bag weighing up to 32 kg (70 lb) for flights operated by Air Canada, Air Canada rouge or Air Canada Express. After checking-in, eligible customers are invited to see an airport agent to have their baggage fee waived, upon presentation of military identification.
- WestJet – Baggage fees are waived (up to 4 bags on WestJet flights and up to 3 bags on WestJet Encore flights) for active and retired Canadian military personnel (as well as active military personnel from other countries). Each bag up to 157 centimetres (or 62 inches) in combined dimension (length + width + height) and weighing 23 kilograms (or 50 pounds). In order to qualify for this exemption, military identification must be shown.
- Greyhound – Offers a 10% discount on any fare for active and retire military personnel, as well as dependent family members. They can also travel anywhere in the continental United State for a maximum fare of $198 round trip. A valid Military ID, retired Military ID, VETERANSOFCANADA.CA card, or Club XTra card (for dependents) is required.
- Alamo – Offers active and retired military personal (as well as family members with dependent identification) discounted rates by using contract ID “GOVRNR”. The minimum age for off-duty military rental is 21 years old, but rates may be higher for renters under age 25. A military or Government-issued ID may be required at time of pick up.
- Avis – Offers military personal special rates.
- Hertz – Offers military employees discounted rates, space available upgrades and complimentary membership in Hertz Gold Plus Rewards.
- Thrifty – Offers military members with special rates and benefits that are available across Canada.
- Best Western – Offers discounted rates to military personnel and civilian military personnel. Official military identification will be required at the time of check in.
- Choice Hotels – Offers discounts to active and retired military personnel. Official military identification will be required at the time of check in.
- Delta Hotels – Offers a 15% discount (not counting taxes, gratuities and fees) to military personal on stays between Thursdays and Sundays. Keep in mind that the discount is subject to availability. Official military identification will be required at the time of check in.
- IHG – Military personal are qualified to select the “Government Canada” rate, which is a discount from the regular rates. Also included in the government rate are special amenities, such as free continental breakfast, free local phone calls and other services. Official military identification will be required at the time of check in.
- Travelodge – Offers discounts to active duty and retired military personnel using the corporate ID: 1000000094. Keep in mind that when you stay at Travelodge, you earn Wyndham Rewards. But for some reason, not all Wyndham hotels offer a Canadian military discount. Official military identification will be required at the time of check in.
- VIA Rail – Offers a 25% discount (code: 12070) on the best available adult, senior, student, youth and child fares in all classes (excluding on Express Deals) and all trains for qualifying Department of National Defence members and immediate family (up to 5 family members on the same trip). Family members may include the spouse/partner (including common law), minor or dependent children (including children for whom the qualifying member is a legal guardian), parents, grand parents, great-grand, parents, grand children or great-grand children. The qualifying member must present valid identification at any time upon request by a VIA employee.