American Express has upped its Starwood Preferred Guest Credit Card sign up bonus from 10,000 to 20,000 Starpoints. The highlights of the credit card are as follows:
- $120 annual fee
- UPDATE- 10,000 points Earn 21,000 points (with referral) or 20,000 points (without referral) when you spend $500 in the first 3 months of having this card
- Earn 1 point for every $1 in all purchases
- Earn an automatic upgrade to Starwood Gold Prefered Guest membership when you spend $30,000 per year
- Earn a Free Weekend Night Award (Friday, Saturday or Sunday night) at Category 1-4 Starwood hotels and resorts when you spend $40,000 per year
- Earn 10,000 UPDATE- 5000 points for every referral (which your friend or family member will get when you sign up for this card)
We previously wrote an analysis of the credit card and the SPG program. Aside from increasing the regular sign up bonus, the main differences from last time is that the spend requirement is only $500 instead of $1,000 previously.
The annual fee is still not waived, so I’m not sure if this is the right time for me to get the card. The 20,000 points is definitely worth well more than the $120 annual fee in case you are interested in getting the credit card.
I would like to retain this card beyond the first year, so I would have liked the annual fee to be waived so that it is less painful to pay the annual fee in the second year of having the card.