There have been quite a few changes with American Express lately, so what’s another one?
The most significant change to the American Express AeroplanPlus Gold is that the first year fee is no longer waived. Below, we will discuss other changes.
The rest of the highlights of the credit card are as follows
- $120 annual fee
- 2 free supplementary cardholders, $50 for any additional ones
- Earn 26,000 sign up bonus Aeroplan points when referred (25,000 without referral) when you spend $500 in the first three months
- Earn 10,000 Aeroplan points for each approved referral
- Earn 1 point for every $1 spent on all purchases on the first $10,000 purchases annually
- Earn 1.25 point for every additional $1 on purchases over $10,000 annually
The referral sign up bonus dropped from 30,000 to 26,000 sign up bonus points. The regular sign up bonus went up from 20,000 to 25,000 sign up bonus points.
Without waiving its first year fee, there is very little reason for me to get this credit card, especially because the earning ratios are low at 1 point for every $1 spent.
The honeymoon for having its first year fee waived wasn’t going to last forever. So hopefully a few of you were able to take advantage of the promotion.
Now the American Express Gold Rewards Card is the clear winner between the two cards.