Recently, I have been looking for a good travel insurance credit card for my parents who are planning to travel this coming Spring. They have been going to insurance companies such as Co-operators and Blue Cross the past couple of years, paying a premium for their travel and medical coverage. I was astounded when I found out, so I decided to do my own research on the best travel insurance credit cards out there. There is a long list of credit cards which offer very generous travel coverage, such as the American Express Gold Rewards card. However, if you wanted an all-inclusive coverage, the Desjardins Odyssey Gold Visa card seems to have just about everything you need for travel.
Below are highlights of the card:
- Emergency health care coverage while travelling in Canada or abroad, and there is no limit on how often you travel during the year.
- Up to $5000 in coverage per person for eligible medical care and services required.
- Trip Cancellation Insurance which covers up to $2000 for trip cancellation prior to departure. The coverage is automatic when you use your Desjardins Odyssey Gold Visa card to purchase your ticket.
- Unlimited coverage for trip interruption which occurs after departure.
- Coverage up to $500 per person for late baggage and up to $1000 for theft or damaged baggage.
- Coverage up to $1,000,000 if you or a family member is a victim of an accidental death while using public transportation (air, sea or ground).
Other benefits of this card includes a 2% return of your purchases given back in BONUSDOLLARS and 20% discount when you are using services provided by Hertz. Each BONUSDOLLAR is equivalent to $1 Canadian.
The only drawback to this card is that coverage is only for trips up to 48 days or less. Maximum coverage only applies to those who are 59 years of age or younger. Otherwise, if your main priority is insurance, the Desjardins Odyssey Gold Visa card is great to have for comprehensive travel coverage.
UPDATE- (as per a question from the comment section below) Travel insurance coverage includes:
- Emergency Health Care Coverage (up to $5,000,000 per person and up to 60 days per trip)
- Baggage Insurance (up to $1,000 per person against theft or damaged baggage and up to $500 against late baggage)
- Trip Cancellation Insurance (up to $2,500 per person if the trip is cancelled prior to departure and unlimited coverage in the event of trip interruption after departure)
- Travel Assistance Service (free of charge, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, anywhere in the world)