You probably already noticed by now that I post about the PointsBreak promotion from IHG Rewards a day after it is actually released. I always prefer waiting until the list is official, as in the past, I have scene hotels being taken off or added on after the preview list is released. Though it seems like they are getting better at keeping them about the same.
This new list is valid from October 31, 2016 to January 31, 2017. This continues to be my favourite hotel promotion. What I love most about the offer is the reduction in the number of points required for a reward night, which can go down from 60,000 to 5,000 points.
We value IHG points at 0.7 cents a piece. With this promotion, you can potentially get a room that normally costs $250 room for only 5,000 points, which gives you 5 cents per point in value. Granted, you will very seldom see the top hotels on this list. Usually, you will find hotels in more remote areas. But there are a few sweet spots that you can always find and some people plan their trips according to the list. For example, if you have 25,000 IHG points, with this promotion, you can book a 5 day trip.
List of Canadian Hotels
As we are a Canadian centric blog, which I always focus on the hotels located in Canada that made the list. If you want to see the full list, visit the IHG site.
For this round, it is a fairly weak list in Canada.
- Holiday Inn Express & Suites Spruce Grove – Stony Plain (normally 15,000 points per night)
- Candlewood Suites Calgary Airport North (normally 20,000 points per night)
- Holiday Inn Express & Suites Oshawa Downtown – Toronto Area (normally 20,000 points per night)
- Holiday Inn Express & Suites North Bay (normally 25,000 points per night)
Keep in mind the following conditions
- You can only make 2 reservations for PointBreak per each hotel (i.e. only 2 stays but for as many nights as you want)
- Once the hotel is dropped off the PointsBreak list, you can no longer book it again, even if someone cancels their reservation, the room does not go back into the inventory (i.e. out of courtesy to others, do your best to have as much confirmation that you will actually stay in that particular hotel)