UPDATE- Application needs to be done over the phone or in person only. See comment section.
I was actually pretty shocked to see this promotion, as RBC rarely waive their annual fees, granted the RBC Visa Business Platinum Avion is a business card, rather than personal. Either way, I am just happy to see this offer. Below are the highlights of this credit card:
- $120 annual fee (first year fee waived if you apply before May 31, 2017)
- $50 annual fee for a supplementary cardholder
- Earn 20,000 sign up bonus Avion points (after the first purchase)
- Earn up to 5 points for every $1 spent on the RBC Rewards eMall
- Earn 1 Avion point for every $1 spent on all purchases
I find Avion points extremely valuable. I have already written a more extensive post on What to do with Avion Points. Avion has several transfer partners:
- American Airlines, AAdvantage
- Asia Miles
- British Airways, Executive Club, Avios
- Esso, Esso Extra
- Shoppers Drug Mart, Shoppers Optimum
- WestJet, WestJet Rewards, WestJet dollars
Personally, I have been transferring my points to either AAdvantage or Executive, depending on which program I want to top up my account to, as well as timing transfer bonuses.
Otherwise, Avion also offers a fixed rewards redemption that can also make sense, if you are purchasing a flight ticket instead. You will want to optimize the reward tiers to get the most value.