I am more than happy to continue our annual Remembrance Day tradition post, which lists out all the discounts that military personal and their families can qualify for.
Please remember check the most recent annual post to stay updated, as the benefits continually change without notice.
If we missed anything, please let us know in the comment section below. The goal is to make this list as complete and comprehensive as possible.
Note that this post focuses on leisure travel only. There are other discounts available for military business travel through the respective Human Resources Department.
- Air Canada – Active and retired members of the Canadian and U.S. military are entitled to up to three pieces of checked baggage, each weighing up to 32 kg (70 lb) each on flights operated by Air Canada, Air Canada rouge or Air Canada Express. At the airport, see an Air Canada agent to have bags tagged and checked free of charge, upon presentation of military identification.
- Air Transat – Military members and one companion on the same itinerary can receive complimentary standard seat assignment, 25% discount on Option Plus (if available), 1 free checked baggage (32 kgs max. weight), no charge (Economy class), as well as 50% discount on excess baggage.
- Porter – Canadian and US military personnel, active or retired, are eligible for 3 pieces of baggage fees waived (203 cm / 80 in, no more than 32 kg / 70 lb). Military identification must be shown at airport check in.
- WestJet – Any active or veteran Canadian military personnel travelling for business or personal reasons will receive up to 4 free bags on WestJet flights and 3 free bags on WestJet Encore flights. In order to qualify for this exemption, military identification must be shown.
- Greyhound – Active and retired military personnel, as well as their dependent family members may receive a 10% discount off the Greyhound walk-up (unrestricted) fare. A valid Military ID, retired Military ID, VETERANSOFCANADA.CA card, or Club XTra card (for dependents) is required.
- Avis – Canadian Military can receive competitive rates, free unlimited kilometres, no additional or underage driver fees.
- Hertz – Canadian military employees receive discounted rates, space available upgrades, complimentary membership in Herts Gold Plus Rewards.
- Best Western – Military personnel and civilian military personnel qualify for government rates. Military ID is required at time of check-in.
- Choice Hotels – Active and retire military personal can save with guaranteed one and two person hotel discounts and rates. Official military identification will be required at the time of check in.
- Fairmont – Military personal receive military rates.
- IHG – Military rates available. Official military identification will be required at the time of check in.
- InnVest Reit Hotels –Military personnel and their family can receive 15% off the best available rates, free high-speed Internet, free local calls, free in-room tea & coffee, free breakfast and free parking. Valid Military ID required upon check-in.
- Marriott – Canadian military personnel are eligible for Marriott’s government rate. Military identification is required at check-in.
- VIA Rail – Active and veterans members of Canadian Forces, as well as up to 5 family members travelling on the same itinerary can receive an additional 25% discount. Retired and current Canadian Armed Forces (CAF) members are entitled to extra baggage allowance. This exemption does not extend to family members of the Military. Valid military ID that must be presented to the station agent.