The Federal government department of Veterans Affairs Canada states that Remembrance Day is of “remembrance for the men and women who have served, and continue to serve our country during times of war, conflict and peace”.
Last year, we wrote a listed all the discounts that military travelers can take advantage of throughout the year. This year, we will update that list for it to be more current.
* Please note that I only provided discounts that include leisure travel for military personal. There are other discounts for military business travel, but the Human Resources Department will be in charge of finding those promotions.
Air Canada Eligible active and retired members of the Canadian military are entitled to up to three pieces of checked baggage, each weighing up to 32 kg (70 lb) whenever they travel on a flight operated by Air Canada, Air Canada rouge or Air Canada Express.
- After checking-in, eligible customers are invited to see an airport agent to have their baggage fee waived, upon presentation of military identification.
Greyhound offers a 10% discount on any ticket. Military personnel can also travel anywhere in the continental United State for a maximum fare of $198 round trip.
- A valid Military ID, retired Military ID, veteransofcanada.ca card, or Club XTra card (for dependents) is required.
Alamo offers military personal discounted rates. Please use Contract ID “GOVBIZ” to receive the discounted rate.
- A military or Government-issued ID may be required at time of pick up.
Thrifty has a preferred rewards program, called Blue Chip Express, for the Canadian Government, including military personal.
Best Western offers discounted rates to Military personnel/civilian military personnel.
- Official identification will need to be presented at the time of check in
Choice Hotels offers discounts to active duty, as well as retired military personnel.
- Military ID must be presented at check-in.
Delta Hotels offers a 15% discount to military personal on stays between Thursday and Sunday. Keep in mind that the discount is subject to availability.
- Military ID is required at check in.
IHG offers military rates, but be sure to select “Government Canada” rate, because military personal fall under that category.
Travelodge offers discounts to military personnel (active duty and retired) using the booking code: “SGC”. Keep in mind that when you stay at Travelodge, you earn Wyndham Rewards. But for some reason, not all Wyndham hotels offer a Canadian military discount.
- Government ID will be required upon check-in.
VIA Rail offers a 25% discount on the best available adult, senior, student, youth and child fares in all classes (excluding on Express Deals) and all trains for qualifying DND members and immediate family.
- The qualifying member must present specified identification at any time upon request by a VIA employee.
- Up to a maximum of 5 family members can be travelling on the same trip.
- Family members may include the spouse/partner (including common law), minor or dependent children (including children for whom the qualifying member is a legal guardian), parents, grand parents, great-grand, parents, grand children or great-grand children.
VACATION BOOKING SITE
Armed Forces Vacation Club offers very competitive vacation package prices.
I feel like there could be more hidden deals out there. So feel free to share other discounts that we may have missed.