I must apologize for the delay in writing my review on the Rogers World Elite MasterCard, I was convinced that I already wrote the review until I noticed that I started getting several questions regarding the card, especially about the lounge access. Being a cardholder myself, I can also share my personal experience. Anyway, below is my review on the card.
Let’s start with the highlights first:
- No annual fee
- Earn $25 cash back sign up bonus
- Earn 4% cash back on foreign exchange purchases
- Earn 2% cash back on Rogers products and services
- Earn 1.75% cash back on all other purchases
- Receive MasterCard Airport Experiences
What more can I say. No annual fee makes this card a no-brainer. They used to have a $29 annual fee on the Platinum version. There was a way to waive it, but I am glad that they eliminated all fees. This is what makes this credit card highly competitive and why I have it myself.
Sign Up Bonus
Unfortunately for me, I already had the Platinum version of the card before, so I did a switch the World Elite version, which means that I did not qualify for the sign up bonus. Because this is a no annual fee card, I have a hard time complaining about the weak sign up bonus.
The $25 would have been nice, so I guess I could have completed a brand new application. However, the benefit of switching over instead, allows me to keep my account history. Length of credit history is more valuable to me in keeping my credit score stronger.
There is no denying that the earning ratios are very competitive. They can justify this more easily because they have a weak sign up bonus. The earning ratio makes this a great every day card, as you will not earn less than 1.75% cash back.
I personally use this card on my Rogers services and foreign purchases.
Cash Back / Rewards
You can redeem your cash back towards specific purchases or receive an annual statement credit:
- Credit towards your monthly Rogers, Fido and chatr bills
- Purchases in Rogers and Fido branded stores (including accessories and phones)
- Online purchases on fido.ca or rogers.com
- Purchases at Today’s Shopping Choice
- Subscriptions to Texture
- Toronto Blue Jays tickets, merchandise at Jays Shop online or in store
- Rogers Centre concession purchases
- *Request (by December 1 each year) an annual statement credit (awarded in January statement)
World Elite MasterCards allow you to access airport lounges through its LoungeKey membership. Some credit cards offer free lounge vouchers. But not this one. It is probably unfair to ask for free lounge vouchers when it is a no annual fee card. Either way, this card offers the following MasterCard Airport Experiences benefits:
- Access over 850 airport lounges worldwide for $27 USD per person/visit (search MasterCard Airport Experiences for list of lounges)
- Earn up to 15% off at airport duty free shops, restaurants, and spas
- Exclusive offers from hundreds of airport retailers
Seems to me that Rogers Bank had the long term in mind when putting this card together. For this card in particular, I am happy to trade a weak sign up bonus for strong earning ratios, because I intend to keep this card for a long time, rather than churning.
If they continue to improve this card, along with keeping its current benefits in tact, I plan to be a long term cardholder. So thumbs up to this card!
Feel free to share your personal experiences with us in the comment section below.